Criminal Record Expungement in Houston, Texas
If you live in the Houston, TX area, have criminal records festering on your background, and want to know if you can get your criminal records expunged, then you’re in luck because we’re going to share some information that will lead you in the right direction if you’re serious about moving on with your life.
Look, we all make mistakes and the criminal justice system has mechanisms in place for people who have changed from the person they were in the past when they may have committed a criminal offense, into a mature model citizen who is looking to move on and progress in life without being stymied for their past mistakes.
Why A Person May Want Their Criminal Record Sealed
There are a number of reasons why a person would want criminal records removed from their background. One reason for seeking to get criminal records expunged is for the purposes of securing gainful employment with company or a corporation other than McDonalds.
We all have to make a living.
In some cases, a person won’t be eligible for certain positions of employment if they have certain criminal records following them around. In other cases, it can be hard to find any job with the appearance of criminal records on your background. Imagine having a record of stealing/theft following you around everywhere you go and not being able to find a job or a career path as a result. No one, including myself, likes a slimy conniving thief, and will ever let a thief in their circle, and certainly not in the workplace. These records indicating the lack of a moral compass need to be the first to go.
Another reason for having criminal records sealed is for purposes of enrolling into college or another institution of higher learning. Sadly, some universities will not allow a person with a criminal record to enroll in school. This can further hamper your attempt to become a productive member of society which is one of the main reasons that removing criminal records is possible in the first place.
Criminal Records Ineligible for Sealing in Texas
The vast majority of crimes have the potential to be removed from your background-record granted that you’ve met all the requirements of your probation or community supervision, and completely taken care of your debt to society. However, some criminal offenses are never eligible for removal in the state of Texas. For a list of the criminal records that are never to be removed, review the list below.
- Indecency with a Child, Sexual Assault & Rape, Cases of Aggravated Sexual Assault
- Incest, Child Rape
- Aggravated Kidnapping, Human Trafficking
- Burglary with Intent to Commit Murder, Assault, Sexual Assault, Kidnapping, Incest, Child Rape
- Compelling Prostitution, also known as pimping.
- Sexual Performance by a Child, or any form of sex crime involving a minor.
- Possession or Promotion of Child Pornography, Possession of indecent child photographs
- Unlawful Restraint, Kidnapping, or Restraint of a Child Less than 17 Years Old
- Capital Murder, Murder for Hire, Assassination, Attempted Murder
- Injury to Children, Senior Citizens, or Handicapped People
- Abandoning a Child, Endangering a Child
- Violation of Protective Order, Violating a Restraining Order
- Family Violence or Domestic Assault Cases
How To Get Criminal Records Removed
Whether its a misdemeanor charge, or a felony offense, the best way to get a criminal record expunged is to hire a criminal justice lawyer with experience petitioning the courts to remove such criminal records.
Any licensed attorney who practices criminal law will be able to answer any questions you have regarding expunction.
As usual, anytime you have a question or a concern related to law, the criminal justice system, or your own personal legal situation, talk with a criminal justice professional who can answer your inquiries.